Gabe da Silveira
Software Engineer & Technical Leader
Generalist web developer with experience spanning the stack from front-end and UX work down to light devops; many years experience hiring, aligning and mentoring technical teams to achieve business goals.
Responsible for backend, infrastructure, operations, and overall software development process and discipline within the 6-member founding team.
- Retooled deployment process for a 90% performance improvement.
- Added CI, APM, error tracking, log centralization to improve operations and QoS visibility.
- Identified performance bottleneck APIs and optimized to be several orders of magnitude more efficient.
- Implemented a lightweight project management process and coding standards.
Technologies: Python, Django, Node, React, Redux, Wowza, AWS, Elastic Beanstalk, Docker
Co-Founder & CTO
2007 - 2016
Initially responsible for personally building the majority of the frontend and backend, and also planning the architecture and operations as MUBI expanded globally and to more device platforms. As growth accelerated, took on primary hiring and technical team organization roles, vendor / partner negotiation and relationships, and strategic planning as part of the executive team.
Phase 3: Growth
2013 - 2016
- Led implementation of a custom CDN on bare metal to greatly improve global QoS.
- Led the expansion of device support from PlayStation®3 and iOS to a dozen platforms.
- Hired and groomed new technical leadership to scale the team from 4 to 15 engineers.
- Continued making individual contributions leveraging my legacy knowledge to improve overall team velocity
Phase 2: Pivot & Devices
2010 - 2013
- Led collaboration between MUBI and SCEE product & engineering teams on a ground-breaking PS3 VOD experience.
- Architected and built the majority of the initial PS3 API.
- Developed a plan to deploy a new fully-localized product showcasing our new business model on a per-country basis without disrupting existing users.
- Led the engineering on an eventual merge and reconciliation of the two products.
- Built a new API for iOS and worked within one iOS developer to ship it in under 3 months.
Phase 1: Community Building
2007 - 2010
- Built and launched a digital cinematheque within Facebook using their fledgling API.
- Partnered with The Criterion Collection and build the first version of their website with VOD.
- Built a raft of social, editorial and crowdsourcing features around our core VOD offer to engage our first million users.
Technologies: Ruby, Rails, Sinatra, Prototype.js, jQuery, Backbone.js, Engine Yard, AWS, Heroku, Vagrant, Unified Streaming, MySQL, Redis, Etcd, Sphinxsearch, Elasticsearch
Freelance Web Developer
Built a large number of small websites and applications for a variety of clients.
University of Minnesota Twin Cities Student Unions
Built and managed the websites of Coffman Memorial Union and the St. Paul Student Center, with a heavy mix of static content and micro-applications. Worked within the Marketing & Design group, collaborating closely with the marketing and design teams to create compelling content and experiences for students. Also responsible for hiring student web developers to mentor.
Education: B.S. Computer Science, University of Minnesota
General Interests: Glassblowing, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking, Juggling
Technology Interests: Haskell, Elixir, Rust, Go, Ember